Thursday, May 1, 2014

"...O'er mountains and valleys where prairies roll....through coral isle, over blue lagoon..."

My blog title is an excerpt of the Belize National Anthem and fits my Easter break perfectly.


I had the pleasure of visiting coral isles and traveling o'er mountains. I must admit it is true: "Nature has blessed thee with wealth untold (except I would change "nature" to "God")." What a jewel Belize is, Father God!

San Pedro (also known as La Isla Bonita) 
For Sulmi (and Gineli's) 15th birthday we took a two day trip to San Pedro. It was such a treat to visit an island. You have to remember: I grew up in landlocked Colorado.Therefore, I find large bodies of water, beaches and balmy breezes fascinating. I could have spent my whole time taking pictures of the sea and it STILL wouldn't have captured the amazing vastness or vividness. Thank You God for the time I got to glory in your creation! I did other things too: dining in restaurant with sand on the floor and a tree in the middle, swimming in the hotel pool, reading my book, swinging in a hammock, celebrating the girl's birthday with a fancy dinner, shopping in town and walking the beaches in my bare feet. Yep, I had a good time being recharged.


Our transportation to the airport? A pickup truck!

Kathy ready to go!

Birthday girls, Gineli and Sulmi, with friend, Kristel

We're on vacation!

Tropic Air airport

My seatmate for the plane ride, Kristel!

View from our plane

Belize Coast

Sulmi on the pier

La Isla Bonita!

Nancy and Kathy

The girls



Downtown San Pedro (S.P.)


Our Sunbreeze hotel room

Swimming at the pool :-)


Relaxing in the hammock

Theme verse of Easter break

Their library is on the beach! How cool is that?!?
Kathy, Gineli, Yosselin (from S.P.), Kristel, Sulmi and Me (AND photographer, Nancy :-) )

That'd be a good place for a picnic

Take a minute with me and be AMAZED at the colors of the sea



Jaguar Creek 
 
There are mountains...

Faraway...

...and up close!
Silly me, I thought because I hadn't seen many mountains in Belize that they weren't there. Wrong! I got to experience them during the last half of Easter break when the Central America region missionaries met for a retreat. Some were from Belize, Honduras and Guatemala. I'm so thankful for the new friends I have made and the insight each person added to the group.

Sheila (interpreter for the retreat!), Nancy and Kathy after our morning stroll

Big leaf, big as my head!

Sulmi, Yelsi and me
Some insights from our time together: 
-Someone mentioned that love and sacrifice are connected. The more you love the less you feel the sacrifice. When you are fully charged, this is so true.
-Put margins in your life. I take this as a way to be both task-oriented, but still allow for relational connections (Holy Spirit connections). It is good to have both.
-It is okay to rest because if, "your output exceeds your input" you're not helping anyone.


Did anyone else know that pineapples grow this way??

The theme for the retreat was, "working from a place of rest." I believe that is what the theme of Easter vacation was for me too. After going nonstop, it was difficult to take that break. Sometimes I didn't want to. I would have rather got caught up on the loose ends I had been neglecting. God had other plans. I spent time alone, but God also called me to spend time with people. Being relational was a good thing. I enjoyed the many meals I helped the Toledanos prepare (and eat!).


Looking back, I cannot believe (though I really shouldn't be this surprised) how God used this break. It wasn't like I imagined it at all. When I saw all that I had planned on doing, I was worried that the time would nothing but busyness. Would I need a vacation from my vacation? Instead, it was most relaxing and refreshing break I've had in a long time! 
Kathy, Yelsi and I stayed in the Armadillo Cabana

The Blue Hole



My Hobbit quote this time is rather sentimental as it looks forward to the coming of the King. I believe that God really has blessed Belize with a little bit of heaven. The Creator simply shines through His creation! I'm glad I was forced to stop and see it. 

The streams shall run in gladness,
The lakes shall shine and burn,
And sorrow fail and sadness
At the Mountain-king’s return!”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

1 comment: