Friday, May 16, 2014

The Lay of the Land

Here's some pictures of Orange Walk because some were curious about the geography of my fair city. There's no way I can describe it - with words or pictures. Yet here is my attempt to do both. Orange Walk is a mixture of dusty streets interspersed with the most amazing splashes of color. At first glance, the streets might not seem particularly impressive- until you're left to your own devices. Then you realize you're lost in a maze. You could play "Where's Waldo" forever here! For example, my house is across from a shop and a church. There are two other churches that I know of (there might be more...) on my street, as well. I know of six tortilla factories in this one town (does the US have any??). Businesses and residences and vacant lots randomly line every street. Every so often, you'll find a bright pink building...or green or blue. As I've said before, EVERYTHING blooms here. If you take the time to stop (and smell the roses), you see lots of plants poking out of odd places. That's Orange Walk in a nutshell: mazes of color. 

Rainbow!

View from Nancy's roof

Flora and Fauna


Why yes, I have taken a picture of the same tree three times. No, it never gets boring
There's a pot of gold at the end of my street!

...which is San Francisco Street

My house!

Down Town Orange Walk

The bright green building is city hall

Near the Ministry of Education

Also near the Min of Ed
 
Around town (I'd tell you the name of the street, but I don't know it!)

also around town, same street

Me, in town

Yet another view of San Francisco Street

Along San Francisco

The park near down town
These next pictures were taken near the river





Roads go ever ever on,
Over rock and under tree,
By caves where never sun has shone,
By streams that never find the sea;
Over snow by winter sown,
And through the merry flowers of June,
Over grass and over stone,
And under mountains of the moon.
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

No comments:

Post a Comment