Friday, January 17, 2014

Doctor Visit


See? I'm smiling. It wasn't so bad.

After witnessing what Edgar suffered in the hospital, I am apprehensive about doctors. Alas, God gave me a chance to conquer that fear. I got an ear infection. At least, that is what my self-diagnosis on Web MD led me to believe. My ear was sensitive to the touch, mildly painful, red, hot and itchy on the inside. The question was: what to do? Nancy gave me my choices. I could go to the pharmacy and get ear drops or double-check with the doctor. It seemed safer to get a second opinion. So, off to the doctor I went! Surprisingly, the office visit was nothing I hadn’t experienced before. Since we dropped in, we had to wait about an hour for our turn. I filled out paperwork. They wanted to know my religion which I thought was interesting. Do they ask for that in the states? I can’t remember…The waiting room was filled with your run-of-the-mill Belizeans (just like a doctor's office in the US would be filled with run-of-the-mill Americans). When it was my turn, Nancy and I went back with the doctor. He was very friendly. Upon looking in my ears, he said they were blocked and needed to be flushed. That caused us both Nancy and I some worry, but the doctor was very skilled at his job. I have had nurses before who were not as kind. Then he prescribed some ear drops and off we went. The entire visit did not amount to the wait we had. Apparently, that is typical of any doctor, regardless of country. My conclusion is this: I like and trust Belizean doctor offices, but I am in no way ready to try out the hospitals here! As of right now, my ear feels fine. The ear drops worked!

“May the hair on your toes never fall out!”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

No comments:

Post a Comment