Sunday, January 19, 2014

Home Sweet Homes



New Apartment!
As I mentioned in my Christmas newsletter, I got to move into the apartment! I said “finally,” because what Nancy and I had originally envisioned did not come to pass. Instead of the apartment being finished in August before the interpreters arrived, the project shifted to Belize time (but slow and steady wins the race, right?). We got to learn about the patience required in construction projects. All in all it is so beautiful, that I know it was worth the wait. Thank you, Nancy for persevering when everything seemed to turn against the project!


The Toledano's House!
From there, I moved in with the Toledano Family upon returning from Christmas break. Why did I move? The reasoning was simple: Kathy needs the space away from Sulmi. Though that may sound strange, it’s true. Think of it this way: would you want to walk in on your middle school teacher brushing their teeth in your house? Absence makes the heart grow fonder. At the same time, Kathy renting another apartment in town seemed isolating. The happy medium placed her in the apartment. That was the thought, but God had bigger plans than that. Renting from the Toledano family was the answer to a mutual need. On my end, it is a blessing because I am still close to Nancy, Kathy and Sulmi (three houses a part). Yet, I have my own space to recharge. On top of that, I cannot tell you how honored I am to be welcomed into another Belizean home. For the Toledano family there are blessings too. I am living with an elderly couple, Mr. Brigido Toledano (BT or “the old man” as called by his wife) and Mrs. Egudelia Toledano (which can be shortened to Ms. “Goody”). Their children are immensely relieved to have someone nearby to look in on their parents. God definitely works in ways, I don’t understand, but His plans are always good.


I used this quote before. Even still I think it is true, though I have been living far above the ground.

“In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.”
J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit

No comments:

Post a Comment